Deep Impact, or at least part of the flight system, is designed to crash into comet 9P/Tempel 1. This bold mission design enables cometary researchers to peer into the cometary nucleus, analyzing the excavated material with its imagers and spectrometers. The book describes the mission, its objectives, expected results, payload, and data products in articles written by those most closely involved. This mission has the potential of revolutionizing our understanding of the cometary nucleus.
Table of contents
- Deep Impact: A Large-Scale Active Experiment on a Cometary Nucleus.-Deep Impact: Mission Design
- An Overview of The Instrument Suite for The Deep Impact Mission
- Autonomous Navigation for The Deep Impact Mission Encounter with Comet Tempel 1
- The History and Dynamics of Comet 9P/Tempel 1
- Deep Impact: Working Properties for The Target Nucleus - Comet 9P/Tempel 1
- The Coma of Comet 9P/Tempel 1
- Comet Geology with Deep Impact Remote Sensing
- Expectations for Crater Size and Photometric Evolution from The Deep Impact Collision
- Impact Cratering Theory and Modeling for the Deep Impact Mission: From Mission Planning to Data Analysis
- Expectations for Infrared Spectroscopy of 9P/Tempel 1 from Deep Impact
- The Deep Impact Earth-Based Campaign
- Deep Impact: The Anticipated Flight Data
- Education and Public Outreach for NASA’s Deep Impact Discovery Mission.
Kluwer Academic Publishing, 2005, 430 S.
Titel gebraucht, antiquarisch & neu kaufen bei: